1. You need a level work surface (outside the cooker) where the Adjustable Rig, Woo Ring, Spider, Flip Ring and other pieces can be set for prep work or emergencies. So, a little pre-planning goes a long way.
2. Burning fuel (lump, wood or charcoal) can flash (flashback) through any cooker opening (lower slider vent, top vent or felt opening). Prior to attempting any searing, blackening or other cooking techniques on the Spiders Adjustable Rig, Woo Ring or Flip Ring, it is important you understand the dangers and safety procedures surrounding a flashback. If you have flashback questions or concerns, contact your ceramic manufacturer or dealer. Remember, flashbacks can happen through the lower slider vent opening, so keep children clear of the lower slider opening at all times.
3. The pieces in a heated cooker are hot and dangerous. It is important to use adequate protection to safeguard yourself against injury when handling hot items. Adequate personal protection is also required when reaching into a heated cooker.
4. When lifting a loaded Adjustable Rig, Woo Ring, Flip Ring and other pieces remember to keep the set-up level, so the pan, grid(s) or food do not slide off or spill. To lift a loaded Adjustable Rig, Woo Ring or Flip Ring set-up out of the cooker, wear hand protection, slip your fingers under the top ring, (position fingers so the set-up balances in your fingers or palms), grab tightly and gently lift up and out of the cooker. Move cautiously to the landing area.
5. Only remove the Spider, grid on Spider, pan/skillet on Spider when the cooker has cooled to ambient temperatures. Do not remove the Spider, grid, pan or skillet during a high temperature (>300 degrees Fahrenheit) cook. The cooker can flashback. The dome thermometer or remote sensing probes positioned above the fire ring are not an accurate measure of the temperatures in the fire ring and firebox. The temperatures in the fire ring and firebox can be much higher. Adequate hand protection is required when removing heated items from the cooker.
6. The melting point of aluminum is approximately 1200° F. Lump can burn over 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. So, it is possible to melt aluminum pans during a cook. We do not recommend using aluminum pans directly over the lump, on the Spider or grid, during high temperature (over 300 degrees Fahrenheit) cooks. Even though the cook temperature is as low as 300 degrees, the lump is burning much hotter. We recommend using a ceramic piece or fire bricks under aluminum pans.
7. The top ring on the Adjustable Rig and Flip Ring is cut way between the front two brackets, so it is possible that a front loaded grid on the top grid can tip forward. Care must be taken not to front load a grid atop the Adjustable Rig or Flip Ring.
8. Respective Big Green Egg® cast iron grids do fit atop the Woo, Adjustable Rig and Flip Ring. Unlike the Stock porcelain/Stainless grids, the cast iron grids do not have an outer ring to sit over the Woo Ring, Rig or Flip Ring’s top ring, so care must be taken to keep a cast iron grid properly positioned across the Woo Ring, Rig and Flip Ring’s entire top ring.