CGS Half Stainless Grid - Primo XL
We are the only one with 'em, 304 EPQ Stainless Steel cooking grid(s) for the Primo XL 400. The Grid is designed to sit directly on the fire ring. The Stainless Half Grid provides a smooth grilling surface when setting directly on the fire box. No center support wire to work around. Price is for each Half Grid. You'll need two for a whole grid on the 400XL.
To elevate the Grid near the felt line, we recommend our Stainless Stone/Grid Holder, pictured below. The Holder also holds a Half Stone, for indirect set-ups. See pictures below.
- 2 CGS Half Stainless Grid - Primo XL;
- 2 CGS Grid/Stone Holder - Primo XL;
- 2 CGS Half Stones.
The Half Grid is 1/2 the Full Stainless Grid. It is fabricated using 304 electro-polish quality (EPQ) stainless steel for improved surface performance. The EPQ makes it easier to clean the grid after each cook and is the preferred stainless wire for cooking grids.
Pictured below are two Half Grids and two Holders. The Holders position the Half Grids are near the felt line.
The combination can also include a Half Ceramic Stone, single or in pairs. Pictured below are:
- right side of grill set-up with the Stainless Half Grid directly on the fire box;
- left side of grill set-up indirect with the Stainless Half Grid on the Grid/Stone Holder and Stone underneath.
The Half Grid can hold Primo's XL Extension Rack (part #332). Pictured below is:- left side of grill is CGS' Spider - Primo XL with Primo's Large Half Cast Iron Grid (part #344);
- right side of grill is CGS' Half Grid/Stone Holder, Half Stainless Grid and Primo's Extension Rack. A Half Stone is optional.
Overall dimensions are 12.5"L X 18.75"W. The outer ring and two center supports are fabricated using 1/4" EPQ stainless round wire. The 21 crosswires are fabricated using 3/16" EPQ stainless round wire and are spaced with a 3/8" gap. The grids(s) will hold just about any food.
Over the last 10+ years, we've built a great reputation for fabricating quality Stainless Grids. These grids are not imported but fabricated right here in the USA to our exacting standards! They are great grids and yes, we love using them on our 400XL.
Made in the USA by/for CGS, Ceramic Grill Store.
Rig vs. Woo
So, you've wandered around the site and just can't decide which set-up matches your cooking style. Here are a couple key differences between the Adjustable Rigs and Woo Rings. We broke it down between Large and XL sizes.
Large size - 18" - 20" cookers:
- The main cooking grid height for the Large Woo Ring is near the felt line. For the Large Adjustable Rig, it’s 1.5 - 2.0 inches above the felt line. For direct grilling (roasting) purposes, both are an improvement over grilling at the fire ring. Some prefer the Woo at felt line, as it is a break point with the base and dome. Others prefer the Rig's higher dome location as it provides slightly better temperature control over the cooking grid.
- The Adjustable Rig offers more set-up options for multi-level cooking. So if you plan to do big cooks, the Rig is a better choice than the Woo.
- Both the Adjustable Rig and Woo set-up for low & slow, BBQ, cooks with ceramic stones. Note one exception, the PSWoo Ring can hold the Big Green Egg® ConveGGtor (platesetter).
- Both the Woo and Adjustable Rig are not difficult to use. The learning curve on each is quick.
- Both offer options to go higher in the dome with and Extender and grid.
- The Adjustable Rig has the greatest potential for grid surface, over 1000 square inches. Not sure what you’d do with all that space, but it’s worth mentioning.
- The Spider works best with the Adjustable Rig, as they were designed to work together.
- Since the Adjustable Rig’s main grid is above the felt line, it is easier to add wood chunks and chips to the lump.
- Some Woo's have handles to grab and lift the entire set-up in or out. The 5" plus tall Rigs lift out with the entire set-up intact.
Let it be said, you don’t need both, the Adjustable Rig and Woo for your large 18" -20" grill. Only reason to have both is if you own multiple cookers and want to play. If you are still in doubt on which one to order, then we recommend:
- If you plan on doing traditional grilling and barbequing on a small scale, the Woo is all you need. Maybe add the extender/grid for a little diversity.
- If you are a grilling and barbequing enthusiast or plan on getting creative with your cooking, the Adjustable Rig, Extender and Spider are for you. The Rig and Spider are more versatile than the Woo pieces.
- If you own the Large Big Green Egg® ConveGGtor (platesetter) and want to continue using it, then the PSWoo will work best.
- Most cost effective method is the Woo. Most versatile is the Adjustable Rig.
XL Big Green Egg®
- The XL Woo positions the XL grid a smidge below the felt line.
- The XL Adjustable Rig does not use the XL grid. The Rig positions our 16"x20' Oval or 20" Round Grids three inches above the felt line - domes sweet spot.
- For direct grilling (roasting) purposes, both the XL Woo and XL Rig are an improvement over grilling at the fire ring. Some prefer the XL Woo at the felt line, as it is a break point with the base and dome. Others prefer the XL Rig's higher dome location as it provides slightly better temperature control.
- The XL Adjustable Rig offers more set-up options for multi-level cooking. So if you plan to do big cooks, it’s a better choice for the XL Big Green Egg®.
- Both the XL Adjustable Rig and XL Woo set-up for indirect cooks (platesetter like) by adding our 17.5" ceramic stone.
- The Sliding Grid system is an option for the XL Adjustable Rig only.
- Both the XL Woo and XL Adjustable Rig are not difficult to use. The learning curve on each is quick.
- The XL Adjustable Rig can sit atop the XL Woo/XL grid set-up for super high dome cooks.
- The XL Adjustable Rig can sit atop the Big Green Egg® ConveGGtor (platesetter) for super high indirect cooks.
- The XL Adjustable Rig has the greatest potential for grid surface, over 1,150 square inches. Not sure what you’d do with all that space, but it’s worth mentioning.
- The XL Woo includes the Spider as a lower ring.
- The XL Spider is an option accessory for the XL Adjustable Rig.
- The XL Woo will hold our 16" or 19" wok.
- Since the XL Adjustable Rig’s 20" grid is above the felt line, it is easy to add wood chunks and chips to the lump.
- The XL Spider works with the XL Rig. The XL Woo has the Spider function built-in.
Unlike the Large, it is worthwhile to own the XL Woo and XL Adjustable Rig for your XL Big Green Egg®. Reason being, the XL Rig can sit on the XL Woo/XL grid set-up. It's a convenient way to get the entire XL Rig above the felt line for easier food/grid handling. Here are a couple quick recommendations:
- If you plan on doing traditional grilling and barbequing on a small scale, the XL Woo and 17.5" Round Ceramic Stone will give you more options than the Big Green Egg® ConveGGtor.
- If you are a grilling and barbequing enthusiast or plan on getting creative with your cooking, then the XL Adjustable Rig and XL Woo Combo is the best choice.
- The XL Rig and XL Woo can be used together.
- If you own the Big Green Egg® ConveGGtor and are looking for a way to raise the grid on direct cooks, then the XL Adjustable Rig does sit atop the ConveGGtor/xl grid.
- Most cost effective method is the XL Woo. Most versatile is the XL Adjustable Rig and XL Woo together.
The best indirect (bbq) set-up for a simple one grid cook (brisket, chicken, couple racks of ribs or butts) is the XL Adjustable Rig, 17.5" Ceramic Stone and 20" Stainless Grid. That is: Best set-up any ceramic grill, any size, any manufacturer!
1. You need a level work surface (outside the cooker) where the Adjustable Rig, Woo Ring, Spider, Flip Ring and other pieces can be set for prep work or emergencies. So, a little pre-planning goes a long way.
2. Burning fuel (lump, wood or charcoal) can flash (flashback) through any cooker opening (lower slider vent, top vent or felt opening). Prior to attempting any searing, blackening or other cooking techniques on the Spiders Adjustable Rig, Woo Ring or Flip Ring, it is important you understand the dangers and safety procedures surrounding a flashback. If you have flashback questions or concerns, contact your ceramic manufacturer or dealer. Remember, flashbacks can happen through the lower slider vent opening, so keep children clear of the lower slider opening at all times.
3. The pieces in a heated cooker are hot and dangerous. It is important to use adequate protection to safeguard yourself against injury when handling hot items. Adequate personal protection is also required when reaching into a heated cooker.
4. When lifting a loaded Adjustable Rig, Woo Ring, Flip Ring and other pieces remember to keep the set-up level, so the pan, grid(s) or food do not slide off or spill. To lift a loaded Adjustable Rig, Woo Ring or Flip Ring set-up out of the cooker, wear hand protection, slip your fingers under the top ring, (position fingers so the set-up balances in your fingers or palms), grab tightly and gently lift up and out of the cooker. Move cautiously to the landing area.
5. Only remove the Spider, grid on Spider, pan/skillet on Spider when the cooker has cooled to ambient temperatures. Do not remove the Spider, grid, pan or skillet during a high temperature (>300 degrees Fahrenheit) cook. The cooker can flashback. The dome thermometer or remote sensing probes positioned above the fire ring are not an accurate measure of the temperatures in the fire ring and firebox. The temperatures in the fire ring and firebox can be much higher. Adequate hand protection is required when removing heated items from the cooker.
6. The melting point of aluminum is approximately 1200° F. Lump can burn over 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. So, it is possible to melt aluminum pans during a cook. We do not recommend using aluminum pans directly over the lump, on the Spider or grid, during high temperature (over 300 degrees Fahrenheit) cooks. Even though the cook temperature is as low as 300 degrees, the lump is burning much hotter. We recommend using a ceramic piece or fire bricks under aluminum pans.
7. The top ring on the Adjustable Rig and Flip Ring is cut way between the front two brackets, so it is possible that a front loaded grid on the top grid can tip forward. Care must be taken not to front load a grid atop the Adjustable Rig or Flip Ring.
8. Respective Big Green Egg® cast iron grids do fit atop the Woo, Adjustable Rig and Flip Ring. Unlike the Stock porcelain/Stainless grids, the cast iron grids do not have an outer ring to sit over the Woo Ring, Rig or Flip Ring’s top ring, so care must be taken to keep a cast iron grid properly positioned across the Woo Ring, Rig and Flip Ring’s entire top ring.