Spider for the XL Big Green Egg® - Q&A and Specs
Q&A and Specs for the XL Spider
What size cast iron round grid fits the Spider for searing? The cast iron grid can't be smaller than 14" or bigger than 20" in diameter.
What size round griddle or skillet fits the Spider for blackening? The round griddle or skillet's bottom needs to be at least 14" in diameter. The round griddle or skillet's top can't be larger than 16" in diameter. Do not set the skillet inside the Spider ring, as the cast iron skillet and stainless Spider have different degrees of expansion when heated and cooled.
What size wok fits the Spider? 16" or 19" Round bottom woks fit. We carry 16" and 19" woks in our Wok Section.
What size round stone fits the Spider to create an indirect set-up? The Ceramic Stone can't be bigger than 19" in diameter. We recommend our 17.5" Round Ceramic Stone.
Can the 21" XL pizza stone from Big Green Egg® be used on the Spider? No, the 21" diameter is to big to fit inside the fire ring.
Can I set a pan directly on the Spider to create an indirect set up? We do not recommend setting a drip pan directly on the Spider. If you set an aluminum pan by itself, good chance it will melt.
What is the diameter of the Spider's ring? Approximately 14" outside and 13.375" inside.
On indirect set-ups, how much lump do I add in the lump bowl? You can fill up the entire firebox and up to 1/3 of the fire ring with lump.
Can I set-up indirect with the Spider/Stone and have the cooking grid sitting on the fire ring? You can but we do not recommend it on big cooks.
Specs: XL Spider for Big Green Egg®:
- Outside diameter of the ring is approximately 14".
- 3 legs rest on the fire ring, in or out of the notches/dimples.
- Sitting down into the fire ring, the Spider drops approximately 1.25" into the fire ring. 2" if placed in the platesetter notches.
- Sitting inverted (up), the Spider is approximately 2" above the fire ring.
- Material is 5/16", 304 Stainless Steel round bar.
- Tig welds connect the three legs to the ring. Best connection methods for added strength, durability & clean look.
- The Spider is passivated for improved protection against corrosion at the weld joints from the high temperature environment.
- Spider weighs approximately 1.5 pound.
- Made in the USA by Ceramic Grill Store.
Under normal conditions, 304 grade stainless is generally resistant to rust and corrosion. Unfortunately, given the huge temperature swings with ceramic cooking, the temperatures in and around the Spider are anything but normal ambient conditions.
So we need to point out that in all likelihood the Spider will not last forever and will show signs of corrosion. To settle our curiosity, we grabbed one that has seen heavy action and gave it a quick buffing. As you can see, it cleaned right up.