Spider for the Large Big Green Egg® - Q&A, Tips and Specs
Q&A, Tips and Specs for the Large Spider
What size round cast iron grid fits the Spider for searing? The cast iron grid can't be bigger than 14" in diameter.
What size round griddle or skillet fits the Spider for blackening? The round griddle or skillet's bottom needs to be at least 12" in diameter. The round griddle or skillet's top can't be larger than 14" in diameter. Do not set the skillet inside the Spider ring, as the cast iron skillet and stainless Spider have different degrees of expansion when heated and cooled.
What size wok fits the Spider? 14" or 16" Round bottom woks fit. The 16" is recommended. We carry 14" and 16" woks in our Wok Section.
What size round stone fits the Spider to create an indirect set-up? The Ceramic Stone can't be bigger than 13.5" in diameter.
Can the 14" pizza stone from Big Green Egg® be used on the Spider? No, the 14" diameter is to big and can limit air flow.
Can I set a pan directly on the Spider to create an indirect set up? We do not recommend setting a drip pan directly on the Spider. If you set an aluminum pan by itself, it can melt.
What is the diameter of the Spider's ring? Approximately 11.25" outside and 10.75" inside
On indirect set-ups, how much lump do I add in the lump bowl? You can fill up to 1/3 of the fire ring with lump. On very long cooks or when using fast burning lump, we recommend you monitor the lump to maintain fuel.
Can I set-up indirect with the Spider/Stone and have the cooking grid sitting on the fire ring? You can but we do not recommend it. If you over load the grid with food, it can act as a cap and cause temperature problems.
Is there any benefit to inverting the Spider so it sits above the fire ring? Yes, most folks use the Spider in the up position to hold a wok, cast iron grid or Dutch oven.
TipsUse the Spider to elevate hot objects off your table surface. Easy way to protect stone surfaces from cracking or prevent damage to polyurethane/oiled surfaces. 3 or 5 Leg Spider works.
The Spider in the up position can hold Big Green Egg's large cast iron grid. One benefit of this set-up is the CI grid is closer to the felt line, so handling spatulas or turners with burgers and such is much easier. Note, this does not work with the stock 18" egg® grid.
Use the 3 Leg Spider to elevate the pizza stone off the platesetter for pizza. Spider needs to be 3 legs to match the platesetter legs.
Specs: Large Spider for Big Green Egg®:
- Outside diameter of the ring is approximately 11.25".
- 3 or 5 legs rest on the fire ring, in or out of the notches/dimples.
- Sitting down into the fire ring, the Spider drops approximately 2" into the fire ring.
- Sitting inverted (up), the Spider is approximately 1" - 2" above the fire ring.
- Material is 1/4", 304 Stainless Steel round bar.
- Tig welds connect the the five legs to the ring. Best connection methods for added strength, durability & clean look.
- The Spider is passivated for improved protection against corrosion at the weld joints.
- Spider weighs approximately one pound.
- Made in the USA by Ceramic Grill Store.
- Cryacort's 13.8" cast iron Smokeygrate or Big Green Egg's 13" cast iron grid;
- our 16" Round bottom wok;
- our 13" Round Ceramic Stone for indirect;
- our 14" Round Stainless Drip Pan for atop the 13" Stone.
Under normal conditions, 304 grade stainless is generally resistant to rust and corrosion. Unfortunately, given the huge temperature swings with ceramic cooking, the temperatures in and around the Spider are anything but normal ambient conditions.
So we need to point out that in all likelihood the Spider will not last forever and will show signs of corrosion. To settle our curiosity, we grabbed one that has seen heavy action and gave it a quick buffing. As you can see, it cleaned right up.