The XL Woo Adjustable Rig Combo is the full "Monty" when it comes to set-ups in the XL EGG®. From single to multi-grid, from high heat to high in the dome, this Combo has it covered. No other matches the Combo's capabilities.
Oh, and it doesn't have to be complicated, check the brisket video below.....it's the best single grid set-up for smoking BBQ in any EGG. We'll put money on it!
|What's in the Combo:|
* The XL EGG grid can't sit atop the XL Adjustable Rig. The grid does not fit inside the dome.
More Detail - Click Tabs
Best Kamado BBQ Set-up
3 Levels- Ribs
Drip Pan/X Bars/Rake
Simply, the XL Rig, 18" Stone, 18" Drip Pan and 20 Grid is the best indirect (BBQ) set-up in the market today for kamado grills. Nothing matches it for convenience and performance. We'll put the XL Rigs capability up against any rack system on the market.
The set-up yields better airflow, provides easy access to the lump and produces more consistent temperatures over the grid. What XL EGG owners love about this set-up is you don't have to touch anything to manage fire or smoke.
Working the low and high grilling positions.......
Pop the 20" Half Grid atop the Rig and you have a nice staging platform above the Woo, ConvEGGtor or XL grid. Slide the 18" Half Stone in and out for more capability. Watch the quick video.
Go 3 Grids - 9 Racks of Ribs
"Show me a guy doing competition ribs in a veritical rib rack and I'll show you the guy who will probably finish near the bottom."
To go 3 grid levels, you need to add the 20" Round Stainless grid and XL Slide Guide. It's an option when picking the Combo above.
- The 20" Round Stainless Grid sits atop the Rig. The 20" Grid can also be used as a searing grid on the XL Woo's lower ring.
- XL Slide Guide makes it easy to slide the 16"x20" Oval Grid in/out of the Rig.
Pictured: That's 8 or 9 racks of babyback or St. Loius style ribs. Note, the XL EGG grid sitting atop the Woo (bottom grid) is not included. The XL grid came with your EGG. The convEGGtor can replace the XL Woo and 18" Stone in the 3 grid cook.
Managing the lump for optimum effeciency.
The Ang-L Brackets shape the lump for small or specialized grilling cooks. Perfect way to shrink the XL EGG for small cooks. We prefer the flexibility with the Ang-L Brackets over our Lump Reducing Rings.
The Brackets create a wall opposite the fire box. So, when you add lump, it's consistantly the same depth. Consistant lump = consistant burn = consistant temperatures across the cooking grid.
The Ang-L Brackets let you create two zone grilling. You have options on how to partion the two zones. Check the drippings in the foil under the chicken in the picture below. With most grills, the drippings would burn off.
The Ang-L Brackets are fabricated using 14 gauge Stainless Steel. Built to last by Ceramic Grill Store.
Sold as a pair.
Other popular XL accessories to expand your talents.......
18" Drip Stainless Drip Pan matches nicely with our 18" Round Ceramic Stone. Foil the Pan for easy clean up. Use a pan to keep moisture out of the Stone. Pan keeps the grill clean for the next cook.
If you have young kids or tend to misplace things, get an extra set of Crossbars. We know this one from experience!
We've owned an XL for years and designed the Lump Rake to help control hot and cold spots. We light the lump in multiple spots, let it burn in and then use the Rake to remix the lump. Give it 5 minutes and you'll have a nice even fire, ready for grilling. We use the Lump Rake on just about every grilling cook.
If your XL Big Green EGG is new or only a couple years old, you can skip this part.
From 2008 to 2012, the XL EGG went through several improvements. If your grill is older, we recommend you take the measurements outlined below to confirm capabilities.
XL Woo Ring: To make sure the XL Woo Ring fits, measure from the top of the fire ring to the felt line. The measurement needs to be approximately 3". See picture below left.
XL Adjustable Rig: For the XL Adjustable Rig to work in tandem with the XL Woo or EGG ConvEGGtor, the measurement from grid to daisy wheel needs to be at least 16". Follow the three steps and see picture below right.
- set the XL Big Green EGG cooking grid on the fire ring and close the dome;
- slide a tape through the daisy wheel until it hits the grid;
- take the measurement at the daisy wheel. It needs to be approximately 16".
Quick video talking about how the grids work with the XL Adjustable Rig.
Add a wok to the XL Woo. Wokking is a fun alternative cook. Can be healthier cook too. Our 16" wok fit the XL Woo. Don't forget the accessories.
XL Woo Ring Specs
- XL Woo Ring raises the XL Big Green EGG grids approximately 2.5". The XL EGG grids can be half-moon, full round, cast iron or Stainless. The cooking grid will sit just below felt line, keeping the grid inside the EGG. Cast Iron Grids only fit the XL Woo without handles.
- XL Woo sits in/out of the ConvEGGtor® notches atop the fire ring. The Woo's lower ring drops 1.5" or 2" into the fire ring, depending it' s in or out of the notches. Any round object 14" to 20" in diameter fits on the lower ring.
- XL Woo's top ring diameter is 23" OD. Bottom ring diameter is 14" OD. +/- 3/32".
- XL EGG ConvEGGtor® can sit inside the XL Woo. Recommend handles on the XL Woo for this.
XL Woo is fabricated using 5/16" 304 Stainless Steel round bar. It's fabricated in-house by Ceramic Grill Store, USA product.
Note: Big Green EGG's 21" XL ceramic pizza stone does not fit the XL Woo's lower ring. The Stone is too big for the fire ring.
16"x20" Oval and optional 20" Round Stainless Grid Specs
- The 16"x20" Oval Grid is a trimmed 20" Round Stainless Grid.
- Both Grids are fabricated using 0.187" and 0.250" diameter EPQ Stainless Steel wire with electro-polish finish for improved performance and durability. The EPQ wire and finish make it easier to clean the grid after each cook.
- The 16"x20" Oval Grid sits on top or inside the Rig. Inside, it sits on top of the Crossbars or Slide Guide.
- The 20" Round Grid sits on top the Rig or on Woo's lower Ring;
- Both Grids are Made in the USA exclusively for CGS, Ceramic Grill Store.
Specs for the XL Adjustable Rig
- The XL Rig can sit: (check the "Important" tab)
- directly on the fire ring;
- atop the XL Woo with handles;
- atop the XL Woo/XL EGG grid, or
- atop the XL ConvEGGtor/XL grid.
- XL Rig's overall height is 6 inches.
- Top ring diameter is 19.25" OD and the bottom ring diameter is 23" OD. +/- 3/32"
- The notch settings in the 4 vertical brackets are are: 1.5", 3.0", 4.0" and 4.75" above the fire ring.
- The Crossbars or Slide Guide sit in the notches and hold a grid, stone, pan and such.
- Opening between the front two brackets is approximately 16.5", wide enough for 3 racks of babyback or St. Louis ribs.
- Fabricated using Stainless 5/16" round bar and 3/16" plate.
- The 16"x20" Oval Stainless Grid is designed to slide in/out and sit atop the XL Rig.
- The 20" Round Stainless Grid is designed to sit atop the XL Rig.
- One pair of Crossbars is included. Crossbars are fabricated from 1/4" Stainless round bar.
- XL Adjustable Rig is fabricated in-house by Ceramic Grill Store, USA product.
Specs for the XL Slide Guide with Crossbar
- XL Slide Guide fits the bottom two bracket notches and aids in sliding items in and out of the XL Rig.
- Fabricated using 1/8"x1/2" Stainless flat stock and 1/4" Stainless round bar.
- The XL Slide Guide is fabricated in-house by Ceramic Grill Store, USA product.
Cool thing about the XL Rig & EGG ConvEGGtor: The XL Adjustable Rig can be used with the Big Green EGG ConvEGGtor®. So, if you have the ConvEGGtor and don't need the Woo, checkout our XL Adjustable Rig 2 Grid Combo package. We highly recommend adding the 18" Ceramic Stone and 18" Drip Pan to the XL Rig 2 Grid Combo - lets you do the brisket video and big pizza cooks. Make sure you check the "important" tab above.
The quality seems really nice but the lid doesn’t close properly when kit is inside. Spent to much time trying to get it to fit. Ive watched the videos and tried multiple things to correct this. Sad it costs so much and not able to use it. The idea is nice but doesn’t cut it for me. My intent was to use it to get the conveggtor out with the grate. Nope. Tried the slide rack as well. Nope …. Oh well. Live and learn
If the Combo does not fit, you have one of the original XL EGGs. Early on, the XL was a work in progress with Big Green EGG making several changes to it. We have a tab on the XL Woo Adjustable Rig Combo page labeled 'Important'. The Tab's detail outlines 2 measurements owners of older XL EGGs need to confirm to insure the XL Woo Rig Combo fits their grill. Confirm the measurements and then call me. There are a couple solutions that may work for you to get the Combo to fit. Tom
everything was in great shape and works better that we expected the only issue was the pizza stone was chipped on the corners
Very nice product. A must have for the BGE owner.
This combo is amazing! Being able to set up different cooking zones has opened up a whole new dimension to my cooking. Wished I would have purchased this at the same time as my Egg. It's definitely an investment but well worth it. THANK YOU CGS!
Ive smoked more than 20 briskets so far with this setup can do (2) 13-18 lb briskets (pre trimming weight) and waterpan sitting on the stone right above the coals. BUT there is a slight flaw with the design. If you pull a pan with juices or meat forward the top rack will tip toward you and spill out. Moved out the way in time but got my feet. Lesson learned but i still love this combo rack setup. Maybe design it with the ring going all the way around in front. Dont know. But thats the only reason for the 4 star other wise 5.